Sunday, September 6, 2009

"Winter must be cold for those with no warm memories..."


I never would've thought a movie made in 1957 would capture me the way "An Affair to Remember" did today. What a beautiful movie... there's just something about older movies that makes love stories so much more dreamy than the love stories of today. I can't for the life of me figure out what took me so long to watch such a great movie. It is definitely going on my Christmas wish list-- it's the perfect movie for a snow day!

As I watched the movie, I found myself thinking about my grandfather, who passed away 8 years ago (see photo above, Fortunato Family Christmas, 1999). I would have loved to watch this movie with him. I can almost see him rolling his eyes at the lovey-dovey parts, then looking at my Grandma and saying, "I luv ya....". :) It was not uncommon to visit Grandpa in the afternoon and find him in his recliner watching an old movie (actually, we could hear it when we pulled in the driveway because the volume was up as high as it would go). :) He would always tell me the names of the actors, and I would ask him if they were still alive. Reflecting on that now, there are so many other questions I wish I would have asked him, not about the movie, but about his life. And even though I didn't like old movies then, I would watch them with him. His smile was so sweet when he would laugh at the movie--I can see his dimples as I write. Of course, at the commercial break, he would take me to the kitchen and make me a sandwich or heat up some soup, or take 18 (at least) containers of frozen goodies out of the freezer for me to take home, pausing only to ask me why I "wear that crap" on my fingernails. :) If any of my family members are reading this, I know they are laughing because that was him, our Grandpa, and I am positive they all had similar experiences with him. I think for us he's "A Grandpa to Remember"... ;)
So, what's next on my list??? Apple picking and a visit to the cider mill...and yes, Grandpa, I'll be thinking of you with every apple I pick...

"The Empire State Building is the closest thing to heaven in this city." ~Terry McKay, "An Affair to Remember"

3 comments:

  1. I went apple picking today - enjoy! Oh, and I have a great apple cake recipe if you end up looking for one.

    Great memories of your grandfather. The only one I knew passed away when I was 3 so the memories are fleeting. Lovely entry my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can almost taste the venison sandwiches Grampa used to make for me. I miss him terribly.

    Burrville Cider Mill is open! Kaleigh and I have taken the kids 2 years in a row now. Hope we get to make it three!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. His soup was truly made with love. Like when he made a huge batch of soup when i had my tonsils out (April 1999)

    ReplyDelete