Sunday, September 27, 2009

When life gives you apples...




...make apple cider! Yesterday I went to Hollenbeck's Cider Mill in Virgil, NY. Note to self-- DON'T go to a cider mill on opening day! It was packed with community members (I even saw one of my students) waiting in long lines for donuts fresh out of the fryer and cider fresh from the vat. I went with my favorite neighbors, The Mead's. Aidan is their 6 year old grandson and a Kindergarten student at my school. Together we watched the workers show how the apples are pressed for the cider. I can't believe I have never seen this done before! I am 32 years old, for heaven's sake! I left the cider mill with a 1/2 peck of apples and a 1/2 gallon of cider. On the way home, I cheated on my diet and ate a plain donut...DELICIOUS! I figured since I am only one pound from my goal weight, I deserved a little treat. :) The Mead's also sent me home with 2 pieces of Dutch Apple Pie, made at the mill. I ate a piece for snack last night and can't wait to eat another!
As you can see from the photo, Aidan was exhausted after our trip to the mill. I'm sure he had a donut when he woke up.


No comments:

Post a Comment