Sunday, September 20, 2009

SUSHI!




So last night I ate sushi for the first time! I went to Syracuse's "Sakana-Ya" in Armory Square with my colleagues/friends Wendi and Irene. "Sakana-Ya" is a sushi bar. There was no menu other than the beer/wine menu. I ordered a glass of red wine and watched as a variety of sushi plates passed in front of me on something similar to a conveyor belt. I had NO IDEA what I was looking at! Thank heavens Irene loves sushi! She told me what was in the different sushi-- eel, tuna, shrimp, avocado, crab, etc. I kept watching what was passing in front of me, and nothing really looked good to me until I saw a sushi covered in what looked like a chicken-wing sauce. I grabbed it in and set it in front of me. On top and on the inside was fried crab meat. Now I had to eat it...with chopsticks! Forks were not even an option and were nowhere to be seen! Somehow I managed to break apart a small piece of the sushi without having to stuff the whole thing in my mouth. I noticed something dark green colored inside.

"What's that green stuff?" I asked Wendi.

"Seaweed." she replied.

"And I'm supposed to eat it?" I ask.
"Yep."
So, I placed the sushi in my mouth and "oh, my God, I am eating seaweed" was the only thing going through my mind until the spiciness of the sauce kicked in. That sauce was one of the spiciest things I have EVER eaten! After a few minutes, I stopped and said, "I can't believe I am eating sushi..." and thought of my list. I ate 2 out of 4 pieces of my sushi and that was enough for me. All I kept thinking was "I want some ice cream. I wonder if 'Super Cream' is still open...". :) Overall, I thought the sushi good, but I wasn't overwhelmed with love for it the way I am for chocolate cake or bagels. :) I would definitely eat it again but would get something more simple, although the thought of eating raw fish still creeps me out a little bit!
I got home at around 10 o'clock and grabbed a cup of rice pudding out of the fridge. It wasn't ice cream, but it would do.

1 comment: