Tuesday, September 29, 2009

What am I waiting for?

I've been thinking about what kind of fabulous piece of jewelry I want to purchase for myself, which I plan to do on or near Valentine's Day. A tennis bracelet? Earrings? A pearl necklace? I've always wanted one of those. I saw a ring at Zales that I liked and I have been browsing jewelry counters and stores hoping something catches my eye.
I was lying in bed the other night and my eyes glanced at my jewelry armoire. I had a random thought about my Great-Grandma Jaquith's diamond ring, which was given to me as a teenager after she passed away many years ago. I never wear the ring, mainly because it is too big for my tiny fingers. At sometime during the past few years, I somehow came to the decision that I wanted that diamond removed from its current setting and placed in my engagement ring or wedding band. My boyfriend/fiance' to be would have to get the ring from my parents before he proposed, a way of him asking for my hand in marriage. But, in the words of Carrie Bradshaw, "I can't help but wonder..." what if that doesn't happen? What if I do not end up getting engaged/married? I am saving that diamond for a day that I don't know will ever come. I don't know where life will take me or who it will lead me to, but I do know that if I never get engaged/married, the ring will never have been worn. It will remain in a gray box in my armoire, worn only on special occasions, taken to the jeweler on occasion to make sure the prongs are tight.
So, the question is...what am I waiting for? Why am I waiting for someone else to give me a ring I already own? I can't think of one good reason NOT to take the ring to a jeweler and have the diamond placed in a new setting. OK, money is a factor, of course, but this is what payment plans are for, right? :) The point is that I can't live in a future that I am so unsure of. What I AM sure of is TODAY and that I have a beautiful diamond ring that has been in a box way too long. I'll be on this Earth once and once only. I have one life and I don't get a do-over. So, again, I ask...what am I waiting for????

1 comment:

  1. I'd have to agree - go get that baby in a setting asap! You could even have it made into a pendant if you didn't necessarily want to do a "diamond ring"

    ReplyDelete