Monday, October 12, 2009

The Anchor Bar






Before heading to Fredonia for my 10 year college reunion, I stopped for lunch at The Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY. I've always heard great things about it and how it is famous for its award winning wings, which is why I added it to my list for this year.


As I pulled up to the bar, I was quite surprised! I had expected to see a "fancier" kind of place, similar to a restaurant chain of some sort like Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday's. The Anchor Bar was very simple, as you can see from the picture. Not at all what I had pictured in my mind! I walked in and was again, surprised. The atmosphere and decorations were similar to Dinosaur BBQ, with rusty license plates hanging on the walls. The only thing missing were some Harley Davidson's and some biker babes!!! Anyways, I sat down between 2 guys and asked for a menu. I asked the guy next to me how "hot" the "hot" wings were. I decided to get a single order of medium wings ($11.00) and a salad. While waiting, I chatted with the people next to me, 2 couples in town for the Bills game. SO FRIENDLY! In general, EVERYONE in the place was friendly! I did not feel at all uncomfortable sitting at the bar by myself.


My wings came and I took a bite into my first official Anchor Bar wing and it was....ok? Don't get me wrong, it was good, but I wasn't highly impressed. The wings are crispy with not a lot of sauce at all. I am definitely a sauce girl so it might just be your own personal preference as to how you like your wings. I ate 6 wings and most of my salad before I paid for my $20 meal then looked at the souvenirs. I bought an Anchor Bar pint glass since I actually do need new drinking glasses. It was $10, but I figured it was worth it. Every time I drink from it I will think of yet another goal accomplished!


2 comments:

  1. Awesome post! Reminds me of some other pint glasses that never made it back home w/ us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a continual debate in Buffalo on best wings - Anchor Bar versus Duff's. I'm a Duff's girl.

    ReplyDelete